If you are doing any kind of activity – running, walking, hiking, swimming – you NEED to have a RoadID. Get your own at Sidekick ID (for your Garmin or Fitbit) OR a traditional Wrist ID at roadid.com and use code BIBCHAT20 save 20%.
I’ve been a runner since the fall of 1996 and have run so many different places over the last 23 years. I’ve run on trails and roads, I’ve run in town, and I’ve run in the country. It wasn’t until more recently though that I’ve shown more concern about my overall safety when I’m on a run. Back in 2015 when I decided to get a little more serious with my running again after a long on-and-off again stretch, my wife talked me into getting something to take with me on every run.
That thing was – and still IS – a ROAD iD.
Let’s keep it simple – it’s a stainless steel plate clipped onto a silicone wristband. However, this little metal plate is more than that. If I were to be running on a country road or running after dark (or both!) and something should happen to me, a first responder would know who to contact immediately. In my case, it would be my wife Tammi or one of our close friends here in the Columbus area. You’ll notice that it’s not necessarily the easiest to read and this one is a little small, but the peace of mind it offers is HUGE.
The Sidekick ID
I’ve been wearing my Wrist iD (seen above) for the last few years and most people don’t give it a second glance because all they see is a black silicone band on my wrist. The only time I’ve ever really noticed mine is when people actually do notice and ask about it or when I’m not wearing it. This time, I opted to give the Sidekick ID a go.
This particular upgrade is a wider stainless steel plate and it can be attached directly to my existing watchband. That’s a big plus for me because I’m prone to breaking those silicone wristbands! The loops that hold the Sidekick on my watch are soft and don’t rub at all, which was an initial concern of mine when I ordered it. Truthfully, I wish I would have discovered the Sidekick ID much sooner!
When ordering, the sky is truly the limit as to the information you include. For me, I make sure to list:
- My name (obviously)
- Where I reside – city & state only
- Two people to contact
- My wife (name and cell number)
- My friend, Nick (same info)
- Allergy info – No Known Allergies for me!
- An inspirational quote or motto – Strive for the Highest
I’ve been wearing my new Sidekick ID for well over a month and, honestly, I really barely notice it. I know it’s there, but I don’t give it a second thought. I’m just glad that if something were to happen while I am out on a run, my wife is going to be made aware as soon as a first responder arrives.
The Sidekick is SUPER convenient and the least annoying piece of gear that I “carry” with me when i go run. It sparks conversation when it is noticed, and blends in perfectly looking as if it was part of my watch from the start.
But I Can Just Carry My Photo Id, right? Why Have “One More Thing”?
Sure, you can do that…but you’ll get tired of figuring out how. Trust me.
ROAD iD solved that problem by providing a solution that you can wear during your run (or bike ride, or walk, or hike, or whatever), but something that blends in seemlessly with your everyday life. PLUS, since you’d be wearing your ROAD iD, it is much harder to lose it or have it bounce out of a pocket – because it can’t.
If I haven’t convinced you by now as to WHY you should invest in a ROAD iD, here’s ten more reasons to consider – with a few of my personal favorites. And, yes, I did lovingly borrow this list from Road iD’s website – because it makes sense!!
- If you can’t speak for yourself, ROAD iD will speak for you.
- ROAD iD enables First Responders to immediately contact family members and friends.
- ROAD iD enables family members to provide additional details about your health or give consent for potentially life saving procedures.
- ROAD iD enables hospital staff to locate vital medical records.
- ROAD iD can communicate medical conditions or allergy information to medical staff.
- ROAD iD can prevent serious delays in treatment by saving crucial time during the “golden hour” of medical treatment.
- It’s far better to have Road ID and not need it than to need ROAD iD and not have it. It’s not just a piece of gear, it’s peace of mind.
- Accidents happen far more than you think they do. Each year approximately 450,000 of us are taken to hospitals unconscious and without identification.
- A ROAD iD looks good and makes a statement about your athletic lifestyle – not to mention that studies would probably prove that people that wear Road ID are considerably smarter than those that don’t.
- ROAD iD can save your Life. Period.
Thankfully, my Road iD has never had to be put to the ultimate test. Should that time come though, I’m much more at ease (and so is my wife – right, Tammi?) knowing that I could be identified, my records obtained, and my family notified much faster than if I didn’t have a Road iD at all.
I said it earlier and I’ll say it again – the Sidekick ID might be small, but the peace of mind it provides? HUGE.
So, before you head out for that next walk, run, bike ride, hike, swim, etc, do yourself a favor – go order a Road iD. If you already have one, order one for a friend – it is the holiday season, after all!
Here’s what others think about their RoadID:
You’ve heard from us – check it out for yourself. Get your own at Sidekick ID (for your Garmin or Fitbit) OR a traditional Wrist ID at roadid.com and use code BIBCHAT20 save 20%.